Career development is the ongoing acquisition or refinement of skills and knowledge. Career development includes job mastery and professional development. Professional development provides the skills and knowledge that go beyond the scope of the employee's job description. These skills may directly improve job performance.
Below are some steps to advance your career development:
- Create programs and activities that provide skill development, such as job rotation, cross-training, mentoring, internships, coaching, and career strategy groups.
- Recognize leadership’s role in job mastery includes providing support and/or release time for staff members' professional development beyond their current jobs.
- Serve as a role model by participating in career and professional development opportunities.
- View staff members' applications for other positions as a healthy sign of a dynamic workplace.
- Create job vacancy listings that allow for the most diverse applicant pool while honoring transferable skills.
- Support requests for alternate work schedules from staff members.
- Annually, require all supervisors to conduct an Individual Development Plan (IDP) and career discussion with employees.
- Hold supervisors in your department accountable for supporting employee development efforts.
Does your organization need an operational makeover? TALK to an Expert! Contact us today to receive information on valuable training and development management solutions for your work place.